Friday, April 13, 2012

The Catcher in the Rye blog one

While I read the first chapters of The Catcher in the Rye I began to get to know Holden. Some of his qualities I like. I like how laid back he is and his sense of humor. I was surprised how respectful he was to his teacher even though he was very mad at him. Some things that I don't like is his language and his "I'm too cool for this" attitude. It frustrates me that he doesn't try in school even though he could do very well if he applied himself.

When it comes down to it I sympathize with Holden. I feel bad that his parents don't take the time to get to know him or spend time with him, that they just send him off to school and never see him. I know that deep down this hurts him. "..and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me..." He feels resentment against them and is bitter toward them. I feel bad that their relationship is like this. Every child needs parents who love and support them. I feel like Holden is trying to find himself. I feel like he doesn't know who he is as a person and feels lost and ignored. He doesn't have anyone around him to be there's for him or just be a true friend. "I sat there for about a half hour after he left. I mean I just sat in my chair, not doing anything." I feel like Holden is lonely and longs to have someone to confide in. I am excited to see how my feelings change toward him when I read more of the book.

4 comments:

  1. When reading the chapters I also felt annoyed by the attitude that Holden seems to have of I'm too cool for this. It seems like he just doesn't care about what he is doing with his life. While I was reading your blog it made me think, when you said the things about his parents. The reason why Holden is probably doing most of these things is because of the way his parents treated him. He probably is doing a lot of the bad thongs to try to get some attention from his folks. Like you said everyone needs parents who love and support them! He could be thinking if I fail Perncey and my parents see that they might feel bad for me and take me in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holden's attitude is acceptable, considering his situation, not condoning that this kind of behavior is acceptable, but in his circumstances I can understand where Holden in coming from.
    I also got the feeling that Holden was lonely, and just needed a friend to talk to. We clearly saw is loneliness when talking to his roommate about Jane Gallagher. His feeling of being ignored, is quite evident with all of the characters we have seen thus far, they seem not to care about are oblivious to his feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree sometimes I struggle communicating with my parents. Sometimes my personal life becomes an issue when it comes to talking them about.

    ReplyDelete