Thursday, April 26, 2012

The Catcher in the Rye Blog Post 4

I think that this quote is very powerful. It's saying that it is better to follow ones own purpose and fail then to follow another's perfectly. It says that it is better to die as yourself because trying to be someone different is dangerous and even fatal. I too think you can find Holden in this quote. He comes from a wealthy, high status family, yet he isn't trying to do the things he's "supposed" too. Though he goes to the high status schools he isn't excelling or even trying to pass for that matter. I'm not commending this but I think that Holden is still on a path to find his purpose or duty in life. He is lost and trying to find his way. He is like the ducks. "do you happen to know where they go in the wintertime, by any chance? (Salinger 81)". This is Holden trying to figure out where the ducks go when times get rough for them. He wants to know where he should go and how he can return a new person. He isn't one to settle for what society thinks he should do. He isn't afraid to go out into the world and search for what he wants. Holden is a nonconformist and I like that about him.

"Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? (Matthew 6:25 ESV)"

I think that Holden has come to this realization, yet I don't think he sees this quote the same way as many others do. Holden isn't anxious about what he wears or what he looks like. In the process of trying to grow up he is becoming less aware of what others think and more aware of what he thinks and believes. He wants to find his true self not someone who was molded by society. He is trying to find what life is all about. He is trying to find his purpose and not worrying about what others think. In this way he is following this passage. When I look at this I read it as there is more to life then trying to follow what society has said is right. More then being skinny or beautiful. That you should follow the Lord and what he says is right. That you should live for him and not those around you. Holden and I do see this passage somewhat differently but similar as well. I hope Holden will see the more spiritual side of this quote, yet by the looks of it I don't think he will. "In the first place, I'm sort of an atheist. (Salinger 99)" I am excited to see how Holden continues to grow in the next chapters.

No comments:

Post a Comment